Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Waiting on a day - John Mayer

I fall in a love with a song, when i fall in love with the lyrics. And for me John Mayer songs are the ones that I keep falling in love with. Be it Slow dancing in a burning room, or Edge of desire. So, here is yet another of his songs that got me falling. This one is from his new album - Paradise Valley called Waiting on a day. 


Mayer's songs remind me of Dylan, the strumming of guitars, joined in by the harmonica, with lyrics that are so simple yet the depth of emotion behind it is immeasurable. For me this song is about expectations we have from our loved ones, where we long for them to walk that extra mile. A life that goes beyond just mere existence, where your efforts are acknowledged. 

Waiting on the day,
When my thoughts are my own.
When this house is my home,
And plans are made.
When you’ll be there for me baby.
When you’ll love me all the way.
When you’ll take my side in every little fire fight.
When you’ll hang your things and stay.

Very often in life we settle for something, in the hope that at the end of the day the purpose is full filled, but the weight of this settlement burdens our soul. And we long for our desires. A life that is an adventure and love that is fueled by passion. And we hope that those around us see this and understand where we are coming from. A day when we are a little less misunderstood, and the love we get has a little more soul to it. To sum it all up, for me this song is about longing and longing alone.

Listen to it, and may be you will find your own thoughts in the tunes of Mayer. Listen to it and you might get a totally different meaning as you see these words thru a tinted glass. 

Can you love me all the way?
Will you tie me tight in little strands of paradise?
Will you walk with me before the morning fades?
I’m waiting on the day.
Waiting on the day.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment