Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Elizabethtown - Life has its own plans

I stumbled across this movie a while back that too by chance. And as I sat through it, there were moments in it that I could relate to and moments that I wished were mine. It is a simple story that beautifully expresses the saying, 'Love finds you when you least expect it'.

So, apart from it being a love story what really got me was the crafting of the story. Orlando Bloom, the main lead has just hit rock bottom in every sense of the word. He has lost his job, his love and of course his dad. And is left with no option but to book his one way ticket to the other world. Don't worry this is no spoiler alert, for if you watch the movie, the first twenty minutes of it will tell you exactly this.
The beauty of the film starts now. As he makes his last trip to his father's side of the family, his journey of self discovery begins. Every character in this film is made of substance. And they all come together to weave a story of life, love, loss and happiness. Orlando's mom, portrayed by Susan Sarandon leaves you speechless with her 10 minutes screen presence as she delivers a speech for his late husband. During this scene she finally accepts the fact that he is no more, and makes you want to believe that love surely is the crux of our lives. 
But the one character that touched my heart deeply was that of Claire, brought to life on the silver screen by Kristen Dunst. From the very beginning she steals your heart with her vivacious nature and attitude towards life. She comes across as a happy go lucky kind of girl, just letting here guards down twice during the whole film. Once when she simply states, "I'm impossible to forget, but I'm hard to remember." and the next time when she says,"You and I have a special talent," Claire says to Drew. "And I saw it immediately. We're the substitute people. I've been the substitute person my whole life. I'm not an Ellen a. I never wanted to be an Ellen. And I'm not a Cindy either…I like being alone too much. I mean, I'm with a guy who is married to his academic career. I rarely see him and I'm the substitute person there. I like it that way. It's a lot less pressure." 
As she delivered these line, there was a new dimension to her character. And I believe a lot of viewers could relate to it. The guys who never crossed the friend zone, the girls who were always considered as one of the guys. 
But the highlight of the film was the connection that Claire and Drew shared. The endless conversation they had, where they shared their most personal thoughts with each other with such ease that lovers would be put to shame. Sometimes I believe it is easier to be honest to a stranger than someone who you've known forever. May be because you have nothing to lose. 
At the end of it all, Elizabethtown made me believe that love can sometimes show up when you least expect it, and life has a way of turning things around. Especially when you feel that there is no way out and even rock bottom seems to be way up from you.
So, let me end by saying that you don't need to be a romantic to watch this film. It's not a heavy duty drama or a chick flick kind, but it will leave you with a smile. And who knows it might just help you look at life thru a tinted glass - :) 









No comments:

Post a Comment