Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sputnik Sweetheart - Haruki Murakami

I had heard of Suptnik Sweetheart through a friend of mine. And out of sheer habit I first Googled some of its quote. What caught my fancy were these words,“Why do people have to be this lonely? What's the point of it all? Millions of people in this world, all of them yearning, looking to others to satisfy them, yet isolating themselves. Why? Was the earth put here just to nourish human loneliness?” ― Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart



And that is how I picked up this book. As I read the words of Murakami, I couldn't help but fill my books with tiny notes and underlined sentences. The beauty with which each of his sentence were crafted left me mesmerised and wanting for more. There were moments when I had to keep the book aside just to absorb the intensity of his words and thoughts.
The story itself was moving. I am not here to review the book or tell you about Murakami's writing style. I am here to share with you what the book meant to me. 
The character of K, our narrator and his bond with Sumire was the main reason why this book became my prized possession. They are best-friends, he is in love with her, she is in love with her boss who is a lady by the way. But it is not a love triangle. The relationship between K and Sumire, goes beyond love and attraction. It reaches a place where intimacy is measured not in the physical closeness you have with someone but the intimacy of thoughts.
He never confessed his love for her, but I would like to believe that she some where knew about it. May be even felt the same for him but decided not to venture down that road for reasons of her own.
What Sputnik Sweetheart did for me was make me look at love that sometimes does not blossom in the conventional sense of the word. Can two people love each other, yet choose to not acknowledge it? Does that make their love any less?
Or does acknowledging the emotion rob the relationship of its charms with its weight of expectations? 
Sputnik Sweetheart is a tale of longing, loneliness, friendship and most of all words that are left unsaid.Each character carries its own burden of loneliness that is shared with just the reader.
A must read for everyone to get a glimpse of how complicated we can be at times. It is about love, and unfulfilled promises.  It surely is about life thru a tinted glass. :) 

“In the end, like so many beautiful promises in our lives, that dinner date never came to be.” 
― Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart   


No comments:

Post a Comment